Production Articles PrevNext

Life and Theater: A JKB Series with Olivia Irby ’18

posted on January 10th, 2017

Olivia Irby '18. Photo: A'ntonia Benson '18

Olivia Irby ’18. Photo: A’ntonia Benson ’18

By A’ntonia Benson ’18

In Life and Theater: A JKB Series, blogger A’ntonia Benson ’18 randomly selects members of the Skidmore theater department to chat with about how and why they choose to be involved with theater at Skidmore. Today, A’ntonia sits down with Olivia Irby ’18.

AB: what’s your name, your grade, and your major? How are you involved in the theater?

OI: My name is Olivia Irby; I’m a junior. I am a sociology and Spanish double major. Last spring, I was in The Last Days of Judas Iscariot and I was also involved in the directing scenes.

AB: What brought you to the JKB?

OI: I was looking to find another community, basically. I really love theater. I did it a lot in high school, and I wanted to continue that experience.

AB: What is it about theater that interests you?

OI: What interests me most about theater is having the opportunity to create while also exploring human existence. There’s something very special about theater and it’s an art that’s very dissimilar to other arts in certain aspects, like how it really imitates life. I think it’s beautiful.

AB: Do you have any theater projects or goals for the future?

OI: In terms of projects and goals in relation to theater, at least in the Skidmore sphere, I hope to get more involved. I hope to audition the semester when I come back from being abroad. Past the Skidmore life, who knows? Life is a box of chocolates, you know?

***

A’ntonia Benson ’18 is a blogger for the Skidmore Theater Living Newsletter.

share on